Monday, June 28, 2010

Back Blogging!

The view when you walk in the house

It has been a quiet few weeks on my blog! My life has been pretty crazy this past month and it has been really hard to keep up. We are still doing tons of renovations to the new house. I am getting a little impatient (I will blame that on the pregnancy! hehe) but it is looking one million times better.

When we first moved in I had a really hard time! It just didn't seem like "home." The colors throughout the house were very dark and the designs were very out of date. I had a very distinct vision of how I wanted everything to look but I knew it was going to take awhile to get there. I wanted a more airy feel to the home. When you walk in the back wall is all windows and it is overlooking the lake. So I thought we should go with light grays and very soft greens and blues. So the boys painted... and painted... and painted! And man, what a difference it has made. I am so thankful for all of the time and effort our families put in to help us out.

For the most part, the painting is FINISHED!! yay! Which means I can actually go in the house. While they were painting I had to stay outside and work on the garden and organize the garage because  I couldn't be around the paint fumes. For the past week, it has been extremely hot outside! It is averaging about 100 degree every day! I am glad I can start working inside the house now! We still have to paint the brick on the fireplace. I am sure you are all thinking, "Why are you painting a brick fireplace!?" and well, the owners before us had already painted it bright red. It was really odd actually because they painted red brick an even brighter red color. Well this fire engine red color looks horrible against my "Sanibel Gray." So we are switching to a softer color. Then we have to paint two wooden poles white and we should be done with the painting! (Well that is until we renovate the kitchen... but that is a whole other subject on its own!)

I am very excited that phase one of the house renovation is complete!! Now for phase two. New carpet and overhaul of the master bedroom. When we moved in there was a sink in the master bedroom. Nope, not a part of the master bath... it was actually in the bedroom. I have never seen anything like it. I knew it had to go immediately. Dad and Erik removed the sink. Then came the next problem. The closet. It was way too small. We have four bedrooms. So technically I could put some of our belongings in each closet. But I really want to have my "life" organized before little Harper gets here. And it is kind of difficult to stay organized if all of your clothes and belongings are thrown in different closets around the house. So my dad came up with a brilliant plan. When I say my father is a genius... that is a serious understatement. The man manages to find a solution to any and every problem all of his girls seem to have. He decided to put up a new wall at the back of the master bedroom and add on a whole new section to the closet. It added about 6 more feet of space. I can literally fit my whole life into the one closet. Dad and Erik spent an entire day constructing a new wall, adding a door and trim, and painting it to match the rest of the room. It looks amazing. I am very excited about my new closet!! Now we just need new carpet. Hopefully it will be installed by next week. Once it is in, we can move all of our stuff into the room and start organizing and DECORATING! (my favorite part of course!)

Since we started renovating the house, I came to realize how much of a difference little things can make. Especially when it comes to new fixtures. I think adding new fixtures to a home is the easiest and least expensive way to update a home. Just adding new fans, light switches and plates, and window treatments has made the house look so much better! It is really exciting to see everything come together.

Now that the major renovations have been finished and we finally have cable and internet in the house, I will try to start blogging on a regular basis again!

The start of my garden

The new pontoon boat


My adorable pup


Fender loves the lake!

5 comments:

  1. So excited to see the house coming together! Every time we're there I can see progress! I know it will be great when the new carpet is finally installed and yall can actually sleep in your regular bed! Thanks again to you and Erik for such a great time last night... it was the perfect Father's Day gift! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there....i just found your adorable blog and now i'm your newest follower! i can't wait to get to know you better! feel free to visit me over at southern belle simple! happy monday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like things are starting to come together nicely.

    I completely understand how you feel about the home not feeling like "home." We bought our new place four years ago as we loved the location and lot. The house was pretty nice too (floor plan), but the inside was a disaster. Not my taste at all. We've slowly been remodeling and It's really starting to feel like home. You're so right about the fans, fixtures, switch plates, etc. Replacing those along with new paint and carpet make a HUGE difference.

    So happy to hear your pup likes the lake, too. He looks so happy running on the dock. How fun it must be to take relaxing rides in the pontoon. That would be great!

    You should post some before/after pictures. They are really fun to see. I did with my kitchen and received some nice feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Glad everything is going well with y'all. Your view is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the house is coming together! Love the pictures! Your keychain will be shipped on Wednesday! I feel bad its taken me so long I didn't know how crazy summer would be! Hope you're doing great!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity