Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Ultimate Chase

We have entered a new stage of life. It is what I like to call, "The ultimate chase." My child likes to run away from me and does not like to be held for long periods of time. This is way different from the sweet cuddly baby I am used to. Harper likes to climb, he likes to run, and he likes to demolish things. Yep, he is all boy. I'm afraid this phase is going to be the end of me. I feel like I spend 90% of my day chasing him or picking up after him.


Yesterday we went to the park. Did he want to play with the other kids? Nope. Did he want to sit down and eat ice cream? Not a chance. He wanted to climb the gigantic rocks, the stairs, and anything else that looked remotely dangerous. So I spent my time CHASING him. He does not like to be chased. And he does not like to be removed from the things he is climbing. So we had lots of red faces and screaming all afternoon. Where did my sweet, easy, carefree child go?

And to make it even worse, he is actually REALLY good at climbing things. He figured out how to climb up the rock wall on his play set and go down the slide all by himself. This can't be normal for a 17 month old?! He has been going up and down our staircases at home for many, many months. He can even climb up into bathroom sinks.









Has anyone else had similar issues? How long does this phase last? Or is this completely normal for little boys? And what age is a good age to start to discipline him? He is too young to understand timeout or taking away privledges. I think he understands the word "no" but he does not listen to the word, it just pisses him off. Any advice would be appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. I feel like I was just reading about my child! She's almost three and folks are telling me the "trocious threes" are nightmarish! Twos were rough with the destruction of everything (she tears up everything)! I afraid of the 3s, but at the end of the day I love my girl and more importantly she knows it! Just remind yourself to enjoy the moments...all of them. You won't get them back, ever. We find ourselves laughing about some of the rough times in this two stage (having a blog will help me laugh more when I'm old, ha). You. Can. Do. This! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a boy thing and the age!!! Brody was the same way!! I remember always telling people that the hardest age is from about 12-20 months! It is their busiest stage where they are leaarning and into everything and you really can't discipline too much because they don't understand!~ It does get easier as they get older and once they start understanding you more and you can discpline plus they slow down some or just get better at the climbing! :) They sure do keep us busy!! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Climbing like that at 17 months is definitely advanced!! Madi is just now climbing up and down play sets on her own. She didn't start walking down the stairs by herself until she was 2. I don't have experience with boys but I hear they are more difficult in the beginning and easier when they are older (vice versa with girls). We started putting Madi in time out when she was about one. She understand no and we knew she understood why she was sitting down alone. I think it just depends on the kid. Hope some of this helps or at least puts you at ease! Toddlers by yourself are always difficult - girl or boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this post, I feel like we are in the same boat. My son is all over the place and climbing too. He has all the bruises to prove his efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I promise it gets easier- as they get older they can comprehend consequence right now they dont it's all just fun and games- I would still give him boundaries no is a word he will hear often dont beat yourself up- have fun- he will make for a good workout !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! This makes me nervous! My little guy definitely likes to climb too and he's only 13 months old! He still isn't even walking but can climb up pretty much everything! At least you don't need a gym membership! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. His Uncle Jodah needs to take him rock climbing!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity